The Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality (EMDH) is one of 13 departments within the Division of Student Affairs. It provides the campus community and guests with high-quality, efficient, and innovative event services and dining options in a variety of settings dedicated to accentuating and enhancing the campus experience in a diverse community.
This position is responsible for the daily operation and management of one or more of the retail operations as well as assisting with the management of others. Retail operations consist of franchised and self-branded restaurants (Airport Lounge, Business Bistro, Starbucks, Qdoba, McAlister's Deli, The Landing, Timbers, Star Ginger, and the U High School Store) plus self-branded coffee shops, an emporium, and a high school store. This position will be responsible for the scheduling, product procurement, training, supervision, discipline administration as well as overseeing food products, cash handling, and customer service.
Whether it's to find a place to study, gather with friends, enjoy a bite to eat, or plan a large event, the Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality takes great pride in providing welcoming and inclusive spaces, high-quality food services, and experienced and professional staff who care about making every experience individualized and extraordinary. It is our philosophy to recruit, inspire and retain talented team members and promote wellness and foster their development. It is our goal to promote a more fully diverse and inclusive campus community.
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Four (4) years of food service management experience (University training in dietetics, in hotel, restaurant, or institutional management, or in related fields may be substituted, year for year, for experience).
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, then employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
4. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
1. Full knowledge of current food management techniques, which include purchasing, food production and control, service, personnel management, marketing, financial management, facilities management, and health and safety regulations.
2. Supervisory and leadership skills; ability to train, instruct, and discipline employees; ability to organize, prioritize, and assign duties; ability to meet deadlines.
3. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce all policies and procedures, especially those pertaining to sanitation and safety; ability to regulate sanitation guidelines to preserve franchise standards.
4. Strong interpersonal skills; cooperative, flexible, and customer-oriented; ability to deal effectively with employee and customer conflicts; the ability to produce results working as part of a team or committee.
5. Computer skills, including menu management systems; accurate record keeping skills; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
6. Ability to analyze a Profit and Loss statement, recognize problem areas, and recommend corrective controls.
7. Full knowledge and acceptance of principles of diversity.
1. Illinois Sanitation Certification must be obtained within six months of employment.
2. Serv-Safe Sanitation Certification must be obtained within six months of employment.
Shift and days off will vary
Proposed Starting Date:
Special Instructions to Applicants
All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail or mail will not be accepted. Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. Please monitor your e-mail for changes to your application status.
A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Please upload a resume, cover letter, and a reference list of three business references with name/mailing address/title/phone number.
In order to receive the maximum eligible points for the civil service exam, you may upload a food service certificate under the optional documents, if applicable. If applicable, DD214 may be brought to the exam, sent to Brandy O'Grady by fax to 309-438-0011, or sent to Human Resources, Campus Box 1300 Normal, IL 61790-1300..
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
This position requires standing, walking, use of fingers and hands, reaching, lifting (up to 35 pounds), kneeling, stooping, crouching, speaking, seeing, tasting, and smelling.
Ability to stand for an extended period of time without a significant rest period.
Must be able to deal with extreme cold (-10F) and extreme heat (90+F).
© The Black Doctoral Network Inc. 300 Delaware Avenue Suite 210 Wilmington DE 19801